The Canadian Camping Association is actively involved in numerous research projects and initiatives. In partnership with a number of academic institutions and professional organizations, the CCA supports research projects that further the field of children’s summer camping.
CCA commitment to research
- Encourage universities and faculties within Canada to recognize camps as outstanding platforms for interdisciplinary research.
- Lobby for organized camping to be a subject of study within academic disciplines.
- Collaborate with national and international research efforts of like-minded organizations.
- Seek funding for continuing study into camp phenomena within Canada.
What are the practical uses of camp research?
- In our consumer-oriented society, research assures product quality within the market. Parents look for products and services for their families that have been backed up by research.
- Governments, corporate sponsors, insurance underwriters and funding agencies all utilize research data for their decision making.
- Findings provide camp professionals with the best and most current information on camp related issues and practices.
- Research results document that camp experience can be a setting for positive youth development.
- Data provides verification that specific camp goals are being met.
- Findings indicate camp experience enhances learning skills development and total educational development through camp experience.
- Research findings demonstrate that the camp-staff-experience contributes to total workforce development in emerging adults.
Call for Papers – Writing Research Award
This award encourages research in fields that relate to camping in Canada in its social, economic, technological, political and organizational environments.
The deadline for submissions is Friday, September 30, 2016.
Winning entry(s) will be posted on the CCA website and added to the camping collection of the Trent University Archives.
For more information, please visit the Canadian Camp Research Award of Excellence page.